Tuesday was an interesting day. It was relatively calm, for the most part, with lots of work to keep me busy during the day. I have deadlines looming, but I’m doing my best to stay on track along with the analysts I have working with me on the various projects. Shortly after lunch, the peak of excitement struck. Iron Knitter Round Two was launched at 1 p.m. ET. The clue sheet was released, though it took a little while to be posted, and then it took a number of screen refreshes before I could see it. On Ravelry, other competitors were posting generic questions, so I knew it was up and that it was in the form of a crossword puzzle. The team leader for my team (Ninja Needles) also sent out a handful of e-mails, all before I could even see the puzzle! By 1:35, though, we had all the answers and were just waiting for the Supreme Commander to confirm our answers and forward the pattern to us.

Since I came in to work, I had to wait until I got home before casting on. And my yarn choice changed considerably once I saw the pattern. It’s called Waiting for Spring, so the red home-dyed yarn just didn’t seem appropriate. Nor did the blue home-dyed yarn. So, I went to my sock yarn collection to seek inspiration. And I wasn’t disappointed! I selected my Panda Cotton yarn which is faintly colored in pastels, so definitely fitting the Spring theme for the pattern.

I cast on without distraction at first. The pattern is written as top-down, but I was determined to alter it to be toe-up so I can be comfortable with starting and finishing. As I have progressed up the feet (two at a time, naturally), this change is more and more appealing to me. The designer wrote a picot cuff into the pattern, and working toe-up I can certainly keep that concept intact. Plus, I can use a three-needle bind-off into the leg for the hem, so there still won’t be any sewing involved! Oh, I have learned so much about sock knitting in this past year (not even a whole year), and I enjoy leaning new things all the time. With this Iron Knitter competition, I’m working on my speed-thinking skills in re-structuring the patterns to be toe-up.

In other news, I am pleased to say that I have kept up with the Project 365 goal of at least one photo per day. There is only one day where I did not take any photographs, but I am not ashamed. That was a day in which I didn’t knit either. For my documentation, I did borrow a photo for that day, though, as it was also the day in which I scored my “kill” in Sock Wars. My target kindly uploaded a photo of her death package contents.

Project 365: January 2010

We’ve entered a new month and my schedule looks to be very much the same as January. Matt is having problems with his shins, so he will not be running any races this weekend. I do hope his legs heal so that he can continue to be a part of the team.

Knit on…

Advertisements